There is Only One Chance to Get It Right
A Comprehensive Course for Organ Donation Coordinators
Now more than ever, increasing the number of organs transplanted relies on quality donor management. Because there are no second chances when it comes to organ recovery, it is critical that every organ be skillfully managed for maximum benefit. Get it right every time with the comprehensive one- or two-day organ donor management seminar offered by OneLegacy's Donation Science Research and Education department.
With a primary focus on the essentials of perfusion and oxygenation, fluid and hemodynamic stability, and respiratory and ventilatory management, this workshop improves the coordinator's performance in a collaborative setting with the hospital team. Participants are immersed in real-life sensory simulation sessions customized to meet different donor profiles and present advanced clinical challenges in a realistic surgical suite.
This high-paced, team-oriented, interactive workshop translates didactic knowledge into lifelike clinical donor scenarios that are videotaped and recorded in real-time. After each session, physician instructors evaluate performance improvement opportunities through a group debriefing and review of multi-view video recordings.
Individual and team hands-on experience combined with immediate feedback improves observational training skills, and provides opportunities for each team to repeat the session as applicable.
Participants will leave this workshop inspired, confident, and motivated to apply newfound knowledge and skills to organ donor management challenges in the field, resulting in more organs recovered and transplanted.
During the Workshop:
- Participate in real-time simulations designed to enhance observational and clinical skills in donor management using a high-fidelity human patient simulator programmed for brain dead donors
- Learn to prioritize respiratory and ventilatory challenges as soon as donor authorization is obtained
- Determine courses of action to optimize respiratory and fluid management
- A didactic review of common DCDD process and procedure includes the impact of cultural differences and comparisons with global practices
- Recognize and initiate management of occult malperfusion and respiratory emergencies
- Utilizing different modes of mechanical ventilation to understand the importance of and theory behind airway and respiratory management
Workshops are currently being scheduled, so we may be able to accommodate your availability. To inquire about scheduling a workshop or how we can customize the workshop to your OPO's organ donor management policies, please email email@example.com or call (213) 229-5691.